In India, checking the availability of a company name online can be done in a few different ways. Before incorporating a company, you must first choose a company name and check company availability.
Choosing a company name is an important step, as it is the first in the company’s formation. Checking the business name before starting your business will reduce the future pain of having the application rejected by the authorities.
Choose the name wisely, and then check the company name properly. You must conduct a company name search on the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) portal.
In this blog, we can check out how we do company name searches in a few different ways.
What is a Check Company Name?
A check company name search means that while choosing a business name, you must first conduct a name search to see if it is available or not. Without naming a company, you can’t proceed further.
The Ministry of Corporate Affairs has established a regulatory framework according to which you have to name your company. If the regulatory framework is not followed, the MCA will reject the name, and you will have to reapply with the new name.
There is a proper set of rules that you have to comply with before checking the name’s availability.
How do I check company name availability in India?
For checking company name availability in India, there are many ways to check company availability.
Follow the steps:
- Visit the MCA portal.
- Click on the MCA Services tab.
- MCA Services: Go to the company services tab.
- In the company services tab, check the company name.
- After checking the company name, check the trademark with the same name on the trademark website as well.
Check business name availability and get assistance from professionals at JustStart. They have an experienced and qualified team of professionals who, on your behalf, check company name availability online and help you get company registration smoothly and without any failures.
What are the Guidelines for choosing your company name?
The Companies Act, 2013, defines the naming guidelines for companies (i.e., Private limited company registration, one-person Company, limited company, and Limited liability partnership). The name should be unique and desirable.
Following are the guidelines for choosing your company name.
- The proposed name should not be identical or similar to an existing company name.
For better understanding, we can take a few examples step by step.
- Joining words or separating words: Joining words or separating words in the company name don’t make a unique name.
For instance, AROMA SIGMA PRIVATE LIMITED is a registered company; if we apply with ARO-MA SIGMA PRIVATE LIMITED, then this name will not be allowed. Any changes to this name will not be allowed.
- Pronunciation or spelling variations: If the pronunciation is the same, spelling variations will be there, and the name will also be rejected.
For instance, Monika Industries Limited is a registered company; if we have to apply with Monicaa Industries Limited, then the name will not be allowed.
- Misspelled words to get name approval: Intentionally, if we apply with misspelled words, then the chances of getting name approval will be less.
For example, if you apply with the name FURRIOOUS GAMES PRIVATE LIMITED, you will be rejected because you used a misspelled word.
- Addition of common names: The addition of common names such as Shree, Shri, Nav, Om, Jai New, and Modern doesn’t make a unique name.
- Proposed names should not be undesirable, such as Emblems and Name Act, Violates Trademark, and Offensive Words. These should not be used in the Company Name.
- Other conditions, like if companies are engaged in the business of chemicals, mean that the name should be according to the business activities pursued.
- A commission, Authority, undertaking, Union, Federal, President, Financial, Nation, Municipal, Panchayat, Bharat, Forest, statute, or scheme require central government approval.
These are some guidelines for choosing the name of the company.
What are the do’s and don’ts when choosing a company name?
For starters, Keep things easy and simple. There are some major dos and don’ts when choosing the name of the company.
Do’s while choosing a company name.
- The name should be unique and undesirable.
- It should be short and simple.
- It should relate to your business activities.
- Get the name-checked on the MCA portal before submitting it.
- Take help from the professionals at JustStart; they can give you the chance of the proposed name’s approval.
Don’t, while choosing a company name.
- Similar to the existing company name.
- The name is too generic.
- Not a unique name.
- Misspelled word to get name approval.
- The name is not similar to the business object of the company.
JustStart is a team of qualified professionals who can help you select the perfect name for your business after checking with their years of experience and expertise in it. We have a huge database of already registered business names, so be sure to find the right one for your business by getting it registered with us.
In addition, we offer a wide range of services to help you in the future with every aspect of setting up and maintaining your company, building your brand, importing or exporting, etc.